So I always keep my eye out for yummy *healthy* snacks. When I found the original recipe from Squawk Fox for these delicious homemade granola bars, I immediately started making them. I’ve modified hers a little, and the kids and I all really enjoyed them. It’s a really great feeling knowing that something fulfilling your sweet cravings is actually good for you at the same time.
- In a food processor, mix 1 cup cooked oatmeal, 1/2 the sunflower seeds, half the almonds, apple, cinnamon and honey. Process until mixture is mostly smooth. Remove to large mixing bowl
- Process the remaining almonds, cooked oatmeal, and sunflower seeds. Also add the flax and chia seeds, and raisins. Pulse a few times just to mix and rough chop the almonds.
- Mix all of this together, and ta da!
- Put mixture between two pieces of wax paper, roll out until desired thickness (1/2 in). Cut out with cookie cutter or simply shape into rectangle to cut “bars”
- Place onto dehydrator trays. Dehydrate for 2 hours, flip, dehydrate for 2 hrs. (check for the chewy-ness you desire) I believe you could also bake these in the oven at about 130 deg and just watch how quickly they dry.
** We added a couple drops of Thieves oil to our batch, for really yummy warm flavor.
You can make these with almost anything you like.. coconut, cranberries or omit what you don’t like.
We made these 24hrs ago, and they’re gone! I’m pretty sure Adelaide and I are tied for the main villains.