Raspberry & Peach Galette
For the pastry crust:
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour, chilled in the freezer for 30 minutes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces andchill again
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup ice water
For the filling:
- 2 3/4 lbs Peaches, you can use white, yellow, or a combination of the two. I’ve used mostly white peaches in this galette
- 1 pt fresh raspberries, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 c granulated sugar, you may need to adjust sugar quantity adding more depending on the sweetness of your peaches
- 1-2 T of fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 of a lemon)
- 2 T cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg, beaten to brush the crust
- Preheat to 375*
- Start by making the pastry dough. Add the flour and salt to a large bowl and slightly whisk. Cut the butter in pieces and add to the bowl. Using a pastry blender or two knives cut but butter in until the mixture resembles coarse meal. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, lemon juice and water and add this to the butter-flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon or your fingers, mix in the liquid until large lumps form. Pat the lumps into a ball; do not overwork the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Prepare the filling: slice the peaches into generous 1/4 in thick wedges into a bowl, add the lemon juice and gently toss to help prevent discoloration. Add the cornstarch, sugar and salt and gently toss again. Add the raspberries and very gently toss one more time.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough out into a 12-14 inch round. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Arrange the fruit mixture on top of the chilled dough, leaving about a 2 inch border to fold up. Sprinkle almond crumbs around the outer part of the fruit a little more toward the center from where the folded crust will cover. Fold up the border around the fruit, making pleats as you go pressing them together gently. Brush the crust with beaten egg and sprinkle with sanding sugar if using.
- Bake at 375° for about an hour until crust is golden and juices are bubbling.
- Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
Served with vanilla ice cream = delicious!